Board :Story Contest
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :HM by Merlin
Date :1/22
Long ago, when the sages first whispered of magic, the lands had not shifted yet. The robust scent of ginko lingered on the air and the thought of a kingdom had not been born yet. There was a clumsy boy who frolicked in the autumn leaves. His heart yearned for warmth on the long chilling nights of the season and so his journey began.

The boy traveled to the tallest mountains and heard the wind's screech. He peered out into the wilderness and saw a graceful tree with limbs larger than the dragons laying dormant in the mythic caverns. He pressed forward into the uncharted region of the wilderness and approached the wooden behemoth. Several birds and a horned owl took shelter on its branches, watching every move of the curious traveler. Placing his curious fingers on the tree's roots, the timeless tree awoke.

The earth trembled and the tree's voice carried over the wind in a deep, satisfying tone. "Who awakens me from the land of dreams?" the tree said in a slow, deliberate rhythm. The young boy stood in place, staring in amazement at its beauty. He struggled to grasp his words in the presence of this majestic being. "My name is Kan-shim small one. Do not be afraid, the tree said while shaking its trunk. A kaleidoscope of leaves drifted away in the wind. "I'm..I'm looking for a sturdy shelter. Please help me", begged the boy. The tree delivered a grand smile and extended a branch of kindness to the boy. It felt stronger than steel but lighter than any ginko he had placed his hands upon. "Know that my kindness is not limitless, for each branch contains a part?of me. Go now and find comfort in the lands of the wilderness."

The boy returned, matured with the flame, and now a seasoned traveler of the wilderness. His back was protected with tanned leather and his skin shimmered like tree bark. "Back so soon?", the tree's voice bellowed out in a soothing tone. "I had just closed my eyes and was going to enjoy a nap." "Please, give me more branches. I yearn to travel on the open seas and taste the fruits of exotic lands. I want to feel alive again. I feel isolated and confined in this place. Please give me the tools, the freedom to leave."

The tree's demeanor changed as it replied with a somber tone, "But I have given you all that I have to offer. Please return once I have grown in the coming season. Then I will be able to spare another branch for you." The young man scoffed, "How long will that take?" "A short nap, the tree yawned and closed its eyes. I believe you call it a millennium." "1000 years!", cried the man. "I'm taking the branch now." As he carved away into the forever tree, it screamed out into the forest and the birds on its limbs scattered.? All of its leaves fell off and its bark turned black. The man snapped his branch away from the tree and in return, it gazed at him with a sinister grin.

Looking up, the man was horrified at the sight of his friend Kan-shim. "Your eyes have changed, he exclaimed while cowering in fear." My name is Man-shik, said the soulless tree as he devoured the man with a cold heart of vengeance. The ravens of the forest quickly gathered around the man's corpse to finish the meal.

Merlin